The refurbishment and extension works were undertaken by Slough Urban Renewal (SUR). The refurbished ice arena and new extension add an extra 1,000m2 of space. The two-storey extension houses the new entrance, reception, café, gym and climbing wall with clip ‘n’ climb feature. The new facility is being managed by the council’s leisure provider EveryoneActive.
The Ice Arena won Best Public Service Building in the LABC Building Excellence Awards 2019 and it was selected to feature in the SPACES Yearbook 2019.
The Ice Arena opened to the public on 28th April 2018, following a multi-million pound rebuild including:
• a new ice rink
• new fully-glazed barriers
• new changing rooms and toilets
• new spectator seating and lighting
• new café
• new climbing wall with clip ‘n’ climb feature
• new gym
• extensive landscaping and car parking