Another year has almost passed and it’s been a busy 12 months for the SUR team with some significant achievements along the way. Here’s a summary of some of our notable events in 2019:
1. January: More council homes for local people
Works started on the 4th phase of our small sites initiative, bringing infill sites into use as new council homes. With 36 new build homes in this phase, it brings the total of homes delivered through this initiative to 94 homes over a three year period.
2. February: An important milestone
We successfully reached over 1 million safe hours worked across our sites (recognised by the National Safety Council
3. March: We delivered a new flagship, £18m leisure facility for Slough
The new Centre Leisure facility opened to the public in Slough with two swimming pools a four-court sports hall, café, gym, exercise and dance studios.
4. April: Our second residential scheme proved a hit
We completed the construction of our second residential housing scheme, Wexham Green and new residents are now moved into their homes here.
5. May: BTEC Level 1 at Wexham Secondary School
A group of pupils from Wexham Secondary School in Slough celebrated completing their two year, Construction BTEC Level 1 course. The course, which was organised and funded by SUR, was hailed a huge success by the school and the families of those pupils, who took part.
6. June: We secured industry recognition
SUR was selected to be part of the highly regarded Parliamentary Review, sharing experiences and best practice for building a successful public/private partnership.
7. July: Two new Marriott Hotels and new apartments to be delivered for Slough
Construction commenced to deliver a high-quality, mixed use development on the site of the Old Library in the ‘Heart of Slough’, with plans for two hotels, 64 new apartments and 4,100sq ft of restaurant/retail space.
8. August: We celebrated a successful community engagement programme
We hit a new milestone as our team has now engaged with over 14,000 school pupils since the start of our joint venture in Slough.
9. September: We invited local people to have their say on our plans for Stoke Wharf
Over 500 local residents visited the Stoke Wharf public consultation, where they had the opportunity to view initial plans and share their thoughts.
10. October: Award Success
Stoke Wharf was awarded ‘Best Project Vision of the Year’ at the inaugural Berkshire Property Awards, while the ice arena featured in the highly acclaimed SPACES Yearbook – recognised for its positive impact on general public. The ice arena also secured Best Public Service Building at the regional LABC Building Excellence Awards.
11. November: Plans to transform the TVU site moved a step closer
Muse Developments was appointed as development manager for the North West Quadrant regeneration plans (the former Thames Valley University site) to deliver circa. £650m of development in the Heart of Slough.
12. December: Plans progress at Alpha Street
Construction started on site to transform the Alpha Street car park into 14 new homes for local people.